Music News

Report Says 376 persons were killed in Southern Kaduna Attack within the  last 6months

February 5, 2017

Three hundred and seventy six people were killed, 102 others injured and 2,308 houses damaged in Southern Kaduna communal clashes between May and December last year, a federal government report said.

DOWNLOAD MP3

The 18-page report exclusively obtained by Daily Trust said the killings occurred across 41 communities in four local government areas of Chikun, Kauru, Jema’a and Kaura, between May 25 and December 26, 2016.

The report of the assessment of the crisis in the area was conducted by the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) between January 9 and 12, this year.

The report dated January 16, 2017, said 21,808 people were displaced, 148 people kidnapped, eight people missing and 33 rape cases reported.

Also, 1,406 cows were stolen, 280 cows missing, 118 motorcycles damaged, 67 sheep stolen, two cars stolen and N1.87million paid as ransom during the period. 

It was gathered that President Muhammadu Buhari directed NEMA to visit the crisis areas and conduct on the spot assessment with a view to providing succour to the victims.

Analysis of the report showed that Jema’a Local Government Area recorded the highest death toll of 194, followed by Chikun 91, Kaura,52 and Kauru,39.

Causes of the crises vary from one community to another. 

“While attacks and reprisal attacks could be given as reasons in some communities, others were attacks by gunmen and criminals,” the report said.

In Jema’a, 18 communities were affected, 194 killed, 96 others injured, 2,042 houses damaged, 21,382 people displaced, eight persons missing, two cars and 100 motorcycles damaged/stolen/missing, the report said.

Communities affected in Jema’a are Ninte Sarki, Goska, Dangoma, Kafanchan, Unguwan Ande, Golkofa, Akwa, Gada biyu, Dogon Fili, Antan, Unguwan Misisi, Godogodo, Paskori, Male 1, Tafan district, and Tudun Wada.

In Chikun, 14 communities were affected, 91 people killed, 148 people kidnapped, 33 women raped, 1,406 cows, 67 sheep, eight motorcycles and three bicycles stolen and N1.87million paid as ransom.

Affected communities in Chikun are;  Kujama, Buruku, Kuriga, Kasaya, Television, Kakau, Gayan, Chikun, Narayi, Kamazou, Matagyi, Gwagwada, Nasarawa, and Kugo Gadani.

In Kaura, six communities were affected, 52 people died, 426 people displaced, two people missing and 280 cows missing.

Communities affected in Kaura are Tachira, Tsonje, Adu, Tafan, Kukum, Agban and Morua/Hardo Ibrahim Fulani settlement.

In Kauru, five communities were affected, 39 people lost their lives, six others wounded, 139 houses damaged, 10 irrigation machines, 11 grain milling machines, six generators, 18 motorcycles, and four sewing machines were either damaged, stolen or missing.

Affected communities in Kauru are Angwan Magaji, Kigam, Kikpene, Kiziti and Chawai. Among the property destroyed are churches, mosques, hospitals, schools, filling stations and shops.

About 20 people drawn from NEMA headquarters in Abuja, NEMA Northwest Zonal office and SEMA conducted the assessment.

The team visited the affected communities and had discussions with state and local governments officials, traditional rulers, community leaders, members of the communities, security agencies as well as affected persons.

The report recommended review of the security architecture in the affected areas, improved surveillance and intelligence gathering, improving accessibility to remote areas, compensation for damaged commercial structures, among others.

Meanwhile, Kaduna State government yesterday relaxed the 24-hour curfew in Zangon-Kataf Local Government Area to between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., according to a statement.

The statement, signed by the Special Assistant to the Governor on Media and Publicity, Mr Samuel Aruwan, noted that “the curfew is now in effect only between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. every day.”

The state government imposed the curfew in Jema’a, Zangon-Kataf and Kaura Local government areas in December 2016.

Aruwan stated that the decision was taken by the Kaduna State Security Council after reviewing the situation in Zangon-Kataf Local Government Area.

He noted that the Council, in taking the decision, said it was imperative that everyone in the area discharged his or her duties to uphold peace.

The council also urged the people to firmly resist “those who might wish to sabotage the gains being made in restoring normalcy in the area”.

 

Daily Trust 

You Might Also Like

1 Comment

  • Reply jpjqzdmmgn February 12, 2017 at 10:03 AM

    Report Says 376 persons were killed in Southern Kaduna Attack within the  last 6months – Aishawakasoblog.com
    jpjqzdmmgn http://www.g6c89z75gmz1wj623191w5xs9hkv1s6ds.org/
    ajpjqzdmmgn
    [url=http://www.g6c89z75gmz1wj623191w5xs9hkv1s6ds.org/]ujpjqzdmmgn[/url]

  • Leave a Reply